About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Redesigning My Pond.

I decided to redesign my pond to make it more natural and friendly to wildlife. I want to move the pond to the front corner of my backyard and add a bog with a waterfall. I have emptied the old molded pond liner and cleaned it out. The fish are in an old large storage bin along with my plants and solar sprinkler. I filled in the old hole with dirt I have dug for placement of the new pond area. I moved a bunch of stones to save for around the edge of the new pond and started moving a bunch of plants to make room for the bog and waterfall. It will take me a while but it will be worth it. My friend Fran is selling his house and he has a pond that he is breaking down. He gave me a pump and some plants so the new pond will be great. I hope to change out the goldfish and stock the pond with native fish like blue gills or sunfish. I would like to stock the bog area with some native frogs or salamanders. I would like to try to attract the amphibians to the bog on their own but if that does not happen I am prepared to buy some to get it started. I think this is as important to my wildlife habitat as the milk weed was for my butterfly garden area.
 The old pond.
 Filled in old hole from pond.
 Getting the back yard ready for new aqua habitat.

No comments:

Post a Comment