About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Happy about having a pond.

I can not even begin to express the joy I get from my new pond. It creates a pleasing landscape that relaxes any one who sits in my back yard. The water fall sound blocks out a lot of the street sounds and gently helps me fall asleep.The fish and aquatic wildlife add to the whole wildlife habitat experience and its become the center of attention to my garden. Right now it is well stocked with plants. I have Variegated Cat Tails, Louisiana Iris, Blue Flag,  Creeping Jenny, Yellow Flag, Purple Japanese Iris, Pickerel Weed, Water Hyacinth, Water Lilies, Purple Loosestrife, Hydrilla, Water Lettuce, Java Moss, Phragmites, and Chameleon Plant. The Yellow Flag, Purple Loosestrife, Phragmites, and Purple Japanese Iris are not native plants so in the future as the other plants fill in I might remove them. The Java Moss came from my fish tank and will die over winter. The Water Hyacinth and the Water Lettuce are annuals in Pennsylvania so they will also die off over the winter.I am hoping that next year I can add a few pitcher plants and one native North American Lotus.
 This is Pickerel Weed. It is a native species of aquatic plant.
Here you can see Cat tail, Iris', Water Hyacinth, Water Lettuce,Purple Loosestrife, and Water Lilies. 
 These little pieces of grass like plants are the Blue Flag I started from seed.
 A water Lily.
 The Left is Phragmites an invasive grass that will be kept in a pot to help keep it under control, and the right is Purple Japanese Iris.
 A small pot of Chameleon Plant 
 Two different kinds of Water lily.
 Yellow flag.
 Purple Loosestrife.
 Variegated Cat tail.
 Louisiana Iris.
 Water Hyacinth.
Water lettuce.

Next year I hope to add some pitcher plants and a North American Lotus.
This is Nelumbo lutea, a North American Lotus.
Sarracenia purpurea, Northern Pitcher Plant.
 
Northern Pitcher Plant in flower.
Close up of Northern Pitcher Plant flower.

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is a haven of tranquility in an urban setting. It is a privilege to be invited to share the beauty. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete