About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Nativar Plants

Nativar plants are basically native plants that have been cultivated and hybridized to produce variations of different colors, shapes, size, growth habit,  growing season, scent and so on. These changes might make a plant more desirable for garden use or for larger production of fruits, berries, or food production. They are very controversial  right now because everyone debates on weather they are good for the environment or if they will cause declines of true native species and compete for habitat. I have my own thoughts about this and I feel that if the plant does not invade native species for habitat and if they provide wildlife with the same or better sources of food or shelter then I see no problem using them in a landscape. Others may feel that they are not acceptable in a native habitat garden. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and can be as flexible or as strict as they want but it all comes down to how they work in the landscape.
The most important question is whether a certain nativar is as valuable to wildlife as the true native species. The truth is some have positives while others have obvious negative impacts on wildlife and the environment.  One such negative characteristic is that sometimes when a flower is doubled or changed they may not produce pollen or if they do produce it then it may not be accessible to insects. If a flower color is different does it still attract the same insects needs to be observed and the same if a flower suddenly has a different scent.  I feel that the use of both native cone flowers and nativars works for me because I have a larger variety and still have the same flowers that insects are attracted to. It is a win win situation and in my wildlife habitat it works. I have a lot of plants that are not natives in my habitat, but they help anchor things and keep the neighbors from thinking everything is just weeds. When they see a familiar garden plant that they grew up with it comforts them and they do not panic about all the plants I add to my yard. I try to keep the non native plants in my front yard and closer to the neighbors property lines. I have read and heard from other gardeners about neighbors or municipalities complaining because they think of the native plants as weeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment