About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Monday, May 8, 2017

1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FOR MY POND.

This month will be the anniversary of putting in my new pond. I kind of over planted last year so I am making minor changes and moving the extra plants to other areas of my wildlife habitat. When I first started the new pond I planned on having two pond levels a bog area and two waterfalls. Last year I only got the two pond areas and one waterfall put in. This year I have already added the bog area and second waterfall and have started editing the plants.
I planted two little pieces of snow in summer last fall ant they are taking over everything. This will be moved over on my hill side between my place and the church next door.
My bluegill and goldfish are still sharing the pond together. if the bluegill do not eat the goldfish I will move them to a fish tank. I want native fish in my pond. 
This is a plant I bought at Home Depot last year. I was unmarked so I had no idea what it was. it turns out its a Fire Spinner Ice Plant. I really like the flowers that I never knew about till this spring. 
 Delosperma Fire Spinner
 Blue flag started from seed last year and pitcher plants for my bog area.
 Sarracenia purea Purple pitcher plant.
 Sarracenia flava Yellow trumpet pitcher plant. (Piggly Wiggly
 Sarracenia flava
 Pennywort.
 Lotus that was started from seed last fall.
 Bog area being added to back corner of the pond.
 This is the basic bog. I will add lava rock and sphagnum moss. This will add to the planting area of the pond and will act as a biological filter.
 As you can see I over planted last year so I am editing plants now.
 I removed an overgrown yarrow here and transplanted some forget me not.
This year the pond is off to a good start.  

No comments:

Post a Comment