About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Saturday, May 9, 2015

My Certified Wildlife Habitat Sunday, May 09, 2015

Sunday, May 09, 2015

  This was my Back yard last summer in June
 Another view of back yard
Recycled arbor that a friend was throwing away
 Front yard with new Japanese Flowering Cherry.
Another view of the front yard.
Side yard as you enter the back yard.
As you can see from the pictures it is now much greener and looks a lot nicer. With in the next month it will be in full bloom with bee balm, day lilies, and all kinds of perennials making a show throughout the rest of the growing season. I will be adding some butterfly houses, a bat house, bird houses, a water fall and some bee houses. I have some of these already but now that I am a certified wildlife habitat I want to add more so I can attract and help make every thing safer and greener. I have eliminated having a lawn and concentrate on plants needed by birds and butterflies for their migration and for raising their young. Some of the plants that help with this include milk weed, butterfly weed, Chicory, Queen Ann's Lace, jack in the pulpit, Lupine, and many other flowering plants to provide food and nectar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment