About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Cleaning up and Antique roses.

Today was a beautiful day.
It was a really nice day today and I got to spend part of it with my friend Etta, who came over so we could clean up and weed the Church Parking lot. It looks a lot better now. There is still one pine tree that drops needles all over and makes a big mess. It has to come down this year, and something nicer needs to be put in it's place. The needles clog the storm drain in the parking lot and it causes flooding. There used to be two pine trees and they are actually on the churches property but no one cleans up after them and they look like crap. I cut one down last year. The one that is still there will be cut down this year even if I have to do it myself again. There are also 3 dead crab apple trees at the front edge of the lot that need to come down. I will be doing that also this summer.
I had some time and energy to weed some around my antique roses. I have been told they are seven sister roses. I found a rose starting to come up in my yard when I bought this place. It was not there at first but once I started to expose the soil and tore the front yard all up it just came upon its own. No one remembers ever seeing a rose bush there in the past but it started to come up. I dug it up and moved it to a spot out of the way because I did not want to deal with a rose bush. I like roses but not in my yard because of the thorns. I eventually moved it to the front corner of my yard to keep kids off my stone wall. I took cuttings and put them all the way across the front wall and they really did the trick. I still do not like them but every one else does and they are nice when they are loaded with flowers. I have pink ones all along the front and red ones that I started as cuttings from my neighbors rose bush. The reds are kind of an upright bush and the pinks cascade over the edge of my wall.

These are the flowers along the top of my wall last June. The pink roses, ox eye daisy, coreopsis, and Chickory.
 Pink Antique Rose
Pink Antique Rose
Red Antique Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment