About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Monday, April 4, 2016

Viola Papilionacea

Wild Violets. Viola Papilionacea


Wild Violets over the years have received a bad reputation as an undesirable weed. I am hoping more people will start to look at them and see them for their true virtues.  They have beautiful green heart shaped leaves that when left to spread out form very attractive mounds that are perfect for lining the  fronts of borders and beds. They are free because they grow just about any where and produce thousands of seeds to help them naturalize. When I first bought my house I did not have much money to use for landscaping my yard so I went through my lawn and gathered all the violets that were growing as weeds. I also gathered some other weeds and made a really nice flower bed. Ever since then every one stops to look at my weeds, and other flowers that have been planted. I have certified my yard as a national wildlife habitat, and enjoy having as many native and naturalizing wild flowers as possible. I have moved away from the non native species as much as possible to attract bees, birds, and butterflies. The violets fit right in and help eliminate lawn areas that need extra watering chemicals and other non environmentally friendly care. The flowers come out in spring and fall mostly. In the summer if they begin to look untidy I just trim them back and they fill right back in. Most of the time I do not do any thing to them other than gather seeds and spread them around to get more plants.

Wild Violets are often overlooked as a delicacy for culinary uses. The leaves are very unique tasting in that they are mild , sweet, and slightly peppery all at the same time. They make a good addition to any spring salad. Not only will the leaves add a nice touch to a soup, but they will also thicken it, and they are great sauteed and served as a vegetable. Violets are also used candied as decorations for fancy spring cakes and wedding cakes.

The leaves and flowers of the violet are considered useful as blood purifiers and for detoxification. Violets contain rutoside which strengthens the capillaries and are an excellent source of Vitamins A and C. They actually contain three times as much Vitamin C than oranges. Violet leaf tea was once used as a remedy for lung congestion and infections and is still used to this day in some cough drops. A violet leaf poultice can be used to sooth all kinds of skin irritations, small wounds and rashes. I do not know how effective these remedies are but the flowers deserve more respect than they are given as just being weeds.

 My violets are used to edge my walkways and borders.

 Violets are attractive when mixed with other spring flowering perennials.

No comments:

Post a Comment