About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I live in the Brighton Heights Neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh PA and recently certified my yard as a wildlife habitat. please feel free to check out my Blog and I hope you enjoy it.When I first bought my property the house was in disrepair and the yard was nothing but dead grass over grown weeds and garbage. It is now a habitat that provides wildlife with the four basic requirements needed to thrive. These are food, clean water, cover from predators, and places to raise young. I have provided these in my small space and will continue to improve on these elements of my garden. I am also an artist and I get a lot of inspiration from my garden. I am fascinated with tiny houses and enjoy cooking and music. I have two adopted cats from a rescue, and I have a one eyed cat that was a stray and needed surgery so I took her in. They are all house cats so they do not tear up my wildlife habitat. They do enjoy sitting in the windows looking at the other animals that visit my yard.

Friday, April 8, 2016

Goldenrod

Goldenrod / Solidago 


There are about 100 to 120 species of Goldenrod which are flowering plants in the aster family. Most are herbaceous perennials found in open areas such as meadows, prairies, and savannas. they are mostly native to North America, but a few species are native to South America and Eurasia. Some American species have also been introduced into Europe and other parts of the world. 
Goldenrod is just as important for monarch habitats as milkweed. The caterpillars of Monarchs feed on milkweed but the Adults need the goldenrod and other asters species to feed on. This year I am going to add more asters and goldenrod to my butterfly garden. I also want to add more Queen Anne's Lace and some dill to my butterfly garden. I hope to help boost the Monarch population and draw in more Eastern Black Swallowtail Butterflies. I know most people think of these plants as weeds and they rip them out of their yards and gardens but they are native wildflowers and are crucial for the butterflies and pollinators who's populations have dwindled dramatically over the years.
  
 Queen Anne's Lace
 Aster Amellus.
Monarch Butterfly. 
 
 
Male and Female Black Swallowtail Butterflies.

For more information on Butterfly Gardening in Pennsylvania I suggest looking at the Penn State Extension web site. It lists plants for adult butterflies and caterpillars. Here is a link to check it out.

http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/wildlife/landscaping-for-wildlife/pa-wildlife-8

No comments:

Post a Comment